3.28.2009

Did Anyone Check the Weather?

We were so organized when we planned this 3 week travel around Europe. We bought 'proper' travelling backpacks, got most of the hostels booked, and made sure we picked trains that had the least stops. The one thing we did not check, however, was the weather.

As I was packing I looked through my clothes and picked out stuff that I normally wear and that would be weather appropriate. But for some reason this was all I kept thinking in my head as I picked out my clothes....'We're going to Rome, we're going to southern France, and we're going to Barcelona.'

Notice in my little thought train that I don't mention any of the colder countries? London was nice and warm so it didn't really hit me until we got to Berlin. It rained, it snowed, and there was major wind. And all I had to wear was 2 long sleeved shirts and a zip up sweater. I had to borrow a rain jacket from my aunt. At least I didn't have to borrow the white Christmas shoes...

Once we left Berlin, we hoped and hoped that it would be a little bit more dry and warm in Salzburg. Looking out the train window gave us a different view. Snow. Lots and lots of snow. I have one pair of sneakers and two pairs of flip flops with me. I can't wear those in the snow.

So there we were, in the snow, cold, shivering, wondering why out of three smart girls, none of us checked the weather.

Of course our last day in Salzburg it got warmer and the sun came out. At least it's nice weather in Munich. And maybe Monday I can wear my flip flops around Rome.

0 comments: